Have you ever had a question for a folk musician but were afraid to ask? Of course not. Folk musicians are the most approachable and friendly people on the planet.
We asked the lovely girls from DALA a few questions and they provided us with entertaining answers. Read for yourself!
- How has your songwriting style shifted as you’ve gotten older? Amanda: I think the essence of how we approach songwriting is the same, but perhaps we’re more comfortable being vulnerable. Sheila: Also, the themes have changed as we’ve gotten older. We may be entering our “Dala Ma’am” years.
- What song evokes the strongest memories for you, and why? Amanda: “Horses.” Every time we sing that song, and we sing it every night, I am catapulted back to the moment when we met the young man who inspired it.
- If you were chosen for the Amazing Race, who would you pick as your partner and why? Sheila: Chuck Norris. Needs no explanation.
- What song best describes you first thing in the morning? Amanda: Here it is!
- When was the last time you took a big risk? Sheila: I tried an improv class, and I was terrible. You’re supposed to say “no” to everything, right?
- What motivates you to stay in the music business, keep writing and going out on the road? Amanda: Sheila. Creating and performing with Sheila is the light of my life.
- What draws you to someone else? Sheila: Sense of humour. Amanda: agreed!
- What do you do each day that matters? Sheila: I talk to my mom on the phone. And I’ve started doing yoga every morning and it’s making me less insane. Amanda: I hug my son.
- What act of kindness were you once shown that you will never forget? Sheila: everything my parents have done for me from the day I was born. It’s overwhelming to think of how devoted parents can be.
- So, who takes longer to get ready? Sheila: I do. These eyelashes don’t curl themselves
The Barrie Folk Society was formed in response to the wants and needs of the local folk music community in and around the Barrie area.
The main goal of the Barrie Folk Society is to bring Folk music to the masses through a not-for-profit organization that cares about the growth and nurturing of the folk music movement.
Countdown to DALA!