BarrieFolk is thrilled to announce two new upcoming concerts: DALA on Friday, Dec. 16 and LENNIE GALLANT on Sunday, March 19. Both shows will take place at the MacLaren Arts Centre. Online tickets are available now. Tickets will also be available from the MacLaren...read more
Have you ever had a question for a folk musician but were afraid to ask? Of course not. Folk musicians are the most approachable and friendly people on the planet.
We asked legendary singer-songwriter Lynn Miles a few questions and she was happy to oblige. Below are her responses to 10 questions.
- What advice would you give a young songwriter? Work hard; work with people who are better than you; learn to take criticism from people whose opinion you respect; and stay curious.
- What is the best and worst thing about being on the road? Playing shows is the best thing about being on the road. The worst thing is missing birthdays and special moments, etc. for the folks back home.
- You tour a lot with Keith Glass. What’s one thing people would be surprised to know about him? He’s 103 years old!
- Where is your favourite place on earth? Wherever my mom is.
- How do you think your music has evolved over the years? I hope I’m a more succinct writer, and more relaxed singer.
- What moment from your life would you choose to relive if you could? Impossible to answer.
- What songs are on the soundtrack to your life? Somewhere over the Rainbow is definitely one of them.
- Where do you draw your energy from? Being an artist gives me energy. Always being on the lookout for the next song, performing and singing are also very key.
- What does success mean to you? Doing what I love and not having to compromise very often.
- What do you do each day that matters? I try to keep my gratitude level as high as possible. I also try to remember that everyone is fighting a great battle, and everyone’s battle is different.
The Barrie Folk Society was formed in response to the wants and needs of the local folk music community in and around the Barrie area.
The main goal of the Barrie Folk Society is to bring Folk music to the masses through a not-for-profit organization that cares about the growth and nurturing of the folk music movement.
Countdown to Lynn Miles, Garnet Rogers and Valdy!